The ten-year network development plan (2020-2030) of the infrastructure for transmission and storage of natural gas of Bulgartransgaz EAD outlines the vision for development of the company in its capacity as an independent transmission operator and operator of underground gas storage. It provides data on the development of gas infrastructure, international gas projects, natural gas market, etc.
The consumption of natural gas in Bulgaria is growing by nearly three percent. In 2020, it amounts to 31,337 GWh, which is an increase of 2.86% compared to consumption in 2019 (30,465 GWh). At the same time country’s natural gas consumption continues to be lower than the EU average, but has the potential for significant and sustainable growth, given the on-going gasification and the potential role of natural gas as a transitional fuel to a low-carbon economy.
There are no significant natural gas deposits in Bulgaria, and the consumption is met mainly through imports. Limited quantities of natural gas are extracted from the Galata fields and the DolniDabnik.
The old import route through Ukraine was discontinued from 2019 and the new route for transmission through the Strandzha compressor station on the border with Turkey with an import capacity of 577.1 GWh / d became operational, as well as an increase in transmission capacity from Romania to Bulgaria and from Greece to Bulgaria was observed.
In 2019, over 18% of gas supplies to Bulgaria come from alternative sources. For 2020, their share in the total consumption of the country is nearly 24. The relative share of Russian gas imports in 2020 was 76.1% or 23,602 GWh. For comparison, in 2019 this share was 81.6% or 24,802 GWh.
The transported quantities of Bulgartransgaz meet 100% of the consumption in North Macedonia and significant part of the consumption in Greece.
The natural gas quantities physically transported in 2020 amount to 33.38 TWh or 54% less compared to 2019 (72.93 TWh). The temporary decrease in the transport is due to the change in natural gas flows in the region and the commissioning of new transmission infrastructure. It is expected that in the next years, when reaching the maximum design capacity of IP Kireevo/Zaycar and with the implementation of other priority projects in the region, the transported quantities will increase and reach and exceed the levels before 2020.
According to the ten-year network development plan, at the end of 2019, 24 licensed companies operate on the territory of Bulgaria, covering 35 licensed territories or 172 municipalities. According to the data of the gas distribution companies, the total number of their customers in 2019 is 119,745, as 93.7% of them are household consumers.
42 companies are registered on the Bulgarian gas exchange – Balkan Gas Hub. Around 40% of the participants are international companies, the remaining 60% are local natural gas traders, as well as large industrial consumers.
According to the plan, key infrastructure projects are the gas interconnections between Bulgaria and Serbia and Greece – the interconnectors Bulgaria-Serbia (IBS) and Greece-Bulgaria (IGB), as well as the LNG terminal in Alexandroupolis.
The draft ten-year network development plan of Bulgartransgaz is published at: https://www.bulgartransgaz.bg/files/useruploads/files/amd/TYNDP%202021/Draft%20BTG%20TYNDP%2021-30%20EN_1.pdf